• Tony Igele

Benin City: Enogie and Son arrested over Murder

BENIN CITY-Operatives of Edo Police Command have arrested the traditional ruler, Enogie of Azagba-Okha Community in Ovia South-West local government area of the state and his son over the gruesome murder of octogenarian, Pa Osarobo Ajayi, in the community, last week.

The Enogie, H.R.H Johnson Edosomwan, 84, and his son, Terry, 27 were arrested in their home at Ogida Quarters, Benin City, last Wednesday.

The policemen were alleged to have woke up the traditional ruler who was sleeping nude on his bed, as they whisked him and his son away in handcuffed to the state police command headquarters in Benin City.

Family source of the traditional ruler hinted that H.R.H Johnson Edosomwan had not visited Azagba-Okha Community in the last two years following leadership differences in the community.

Confirming the arrest, the Commissioner of Police in Edo Mr Haliru Gwandu said many arrest had been made in connection with the gruesome murder of Pa Osarobo Ajayi.

He stated that he had directed that the aged among the suspects be released on health ground.

“They are still under detection, but having discovered their age and ailments, they are bound to enjoy their medical facilities, some of them are above eighty, so, if we do not grant them medical care it can lead to double tragedy”. CP Gwandu stated.

It will be recalled that three gunmen who pretended to be staff of telecommunications firm reportedly hacked an octogenarian, Pa Osarobo Ajayi, to death at his residence in Okha Community, last week.

Late Pa Osarobo Ajayi, who was the deputy Odionwerein Okha village was earlier informed by his killers that his residence had been identified as the best location for a telecom mast they were about to locate in the community.

The impostors who told Pa Osarobo that the telecom firm was ready to resettle him and his family, returned at night that fateful day, killing him with battle axe even though they were having guns.

His wife, Eunice said one of the attackers was with her in her room but her hands and legs were tied while two others continued the attack on her husband with battle axe.

“I begged them that I will die but they tied by hands and legs. One of them with gun stayed with me. The others were with my husband.” She narrated.

It was gathered that the remains of the deceased was taken to mortuary by some policemen.

Follow Us
  • Twitter Basic Black
  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Black Google+ Icon
Recent Posts